Four Indian oil workers kidnapped by a prominent rebel group in Nigeria are safe, an Indian Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Monday.
The Indians were among six foreign workers abducted last week from an Italian oil facility in the Niger Delta, Africa’s biggest oil-producing region.
“As per the latest information received, all the hostages are safe and unharmed,” Navtej Sarna told reporters.
He said no ransom demand had been made and the Indian mission in Lagos had appealed to all its nationals to be “extra vigilant.”
The Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) has claimed responsibility for the kidnappings from the Mystras oil production vessel, 53 miles offshore and operated by ENI unit Saipem and SBM Offshore.
Attacks by MEND since early last year have cut Nigerian oil output by a fifth and forced thousands of foreigners to flee the vast wetlands region in southern Nigeria.
Indian authorities in Nigeria were in touch with senior managers of the Italian oil company, Sarna added.
– Wire Report